CO detector prevents tragedy

April 2011 Fire & Safety

When smoke filled the Alon family home on a winter’s night it was the loud beeping of the Visonic carbon monoxide (CO) detector that saved the sleeping family. Installed above a kerosene heater, the detector was activated when the heater malfunctioned – averting a potential tragedy.

Ami Alon is painfully aware of how close his family came to disaster. He was not home at the time; and his wife, Mari, and two children, aged three and five years, were sleeping. By the time Mari woke up and escaped the house with the children, the house was filled with deadly smoke. He says: “I do not want to think about what might have happened if we had not installed the CO detector.

“My wife had gone to bed particularly tired and at first she did not hear the beeps of the CO detector, installed next to our children’s room. Our son woke up and called my wife but she was sleeping very deeply and did not hear him, and soon after that he apparently fell back asleep. Then, as the beeping grew stronger, Mari woke up and suddenly realised it was the CO detector. It was only then that she understood what was happening. The house was full of smoke and it was difficult to breathe. Mari immediately grabbed the children, ran out of the house, and phoned me. I arrived five minutes later and found that the house was full of smoke.

The Visonic CO detector had been installed at the Alon house about six months before that night. As a standalone detector, it sounded an alert when carbon monoxide levels rose above a certain level. The volume of the beeping continually increased as the amount of CO increased and became more dangerous. If the detector had been connected to a Visonic security system, with connectivity to a monitoring service, the detector would also have activated an alert to the monitoring centre and to Ami’s mobile phone.

For more information contact Visonic, +972 3 6456751, [email protected],

Share this article:
Share via emailShare via LinkedInPrint this page

Further reading:

Fire protection for new Fuchs warehouse
Fire & Safety
The new warehouse at Fuchs Lubricants South Africa in Isando, Johannesburg, not only incorporates the latest technology but complies with stringent fire detection and prevention requirements.

Fire-safety risks during load shedding
News Fire & Safety
The current load shedding implemented by electricity utility Eskom, as it faces unplanned breakdowns, poses a heightened fire risk for homeowners and their families.

FlameSpec flame detectors from Technoswitch
Technoswitch Fire Detection & Suppression Fire & Safety
The FM-approved FlameSpec detectors address slow-growing fires and fast eruptions of fire while maintaining high performance and reliable detection in all weather and light conditions.

Improved hydraulic performance and efficiency
Johnson Controls Global Products Fire & Safety
Tyco 5.8K LFII sprinkler from Johnson Controls Global Products brings improved hydraulic performance and efficiency to residential fire protection.

One-bolt coupling
Johnson Controls Global Products Fire & Safety
The G-Fire One-Bolt Figure 579A is a grooved, rigid coupling ready for out-of-the-box, push-on installation including self-lubricating gaskets for a smooth installation experience.

Ensure your generator is fire-safe
Fire & Safety
A backup power supply such as a genset is critical during loadshedding, however, it is vital that such important equipment is maintained properly and serviced regularly to be able to cope with outages.

Technoswitch Awards dinner for 2022
Technews Publishing News Fire & Safety
Technoswitch hosted its fifth awards dinner at Montecasino in September, where customers and suppliers celebrated a year of success.

Mass transportation requires massive security
Fire & Safety
The technologies and design styles behind transit hubs may have changed over the years, but from a fire safety perspective the threats have remained constant.

ZYTEQ Fire Engineering Summit 2022
Fire & Safety News
Cape Town-based ZYTEQ Fire hosted its inaugural Engineering Summit at the Commodore Hotel in Cape Town and the Leonardo Hotel in Sandton, Johannesburg.

Fire prevention in your home or business?
Fire & Safety Security Services & Risk Management
A recent fire at a nightclub in Boksburg has once again highlighted the importance of fire safety for both homes and businesses. When a fire breaks out, the consequences can be devastating.