The Tyco Integrated Fire and Security (TIFS) team recently secured a contract to provide full fire protection for two Greenfield open-cycle turbine power plants in the Eastern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal. TIFS, partnering with Tyco Italy, is designing and supplying a fully integrated fire fighting solution across both power plants.
The systems consist of the following major components:
1. Fire detection of all areas of fire risk.
2. Fire sprinkler systems in both the generation plant areas as well as administrative buildings.
3. Fire foam suppression on fuel storage and handling areas.
4. CO2 gas suppression in the turbines.
5. FM200 gas suppression in the instrumentation and switch gear areas as well as the IT control room areas.
6. Hand-held fire extinguishers throughout the plant
7. Fire mains ring with fire hydrants around the plant.
Martin van der Westhuizen, TIFS business development manager, says the fire protection of a power generation plant is key to ensuring that a plant stays operational. Additionally, the fire risk of petroleum power generation is very high and the operators of the plants need to protect their assets and their staff.
© Technews Publishing (Pty) Ltd | All Rights Reserved