The iAmSafe concept was borne due to the fact that there exists such high rates of theft within the country. The concept creates a complete audit trail of assets purchased by an individual or company. Should an asset be registered and a would-be criminal choose to steal and resell it, the purchaser of the asset can immediately verify if the asset has been stolen and who the asset belongs to by logging on to the Internet or via mobile phone.
When users subscribe to the Web-based iAmSafe Asset Management Portal and register their assets, it will be difficult for criminals to sell any goods that do not belong to them as the owner of the goods will have to have given verification that he or she has given permission for those specific goods or assets to be sold.
What this will achieve is that owners can now be contacted directly should their goods be found and unscrupulous purchasers of stolen goods can be held directly accountable for purchasing stolen goods, as a medium now exists for all individuals to first verify whether goods or assets are legitimate or stolen, therefore making it very difficult for would-be thieves to sell the illegitimate goods to anyone.
It is also envisaged that all assets will have a non-removable unique ultraviolet number that is unique to the asset owner and always traceable back to the current owner of the asset. The current asset owner will have his unique iris captured which will be linked to his or her unique asset numbers. The ultraviolet numbers are not transferable and are unique to its owner for life; the new owner will be able to transfer the goods to his own unique barcode once the original owner has verified that he has sold the asset in question to the new owner.
Therefore an entire history of the assets will be carried within these new unique ultraviolet asset identifiers as items can be traced back to the original or secondary owners should any discrepancies arise about said assets. Other benefits include:
* Police can verify stolen goods immediately.
* Police can verify crime statistics in areas with information received.
* Insurance fraud such as multiple policy claims on the same assets can be prevented.
* Companies can monitor warranty claims by marking their electronic goods to prevent false warranty claims on grey imports.
* Stolen items can now be traced back to original owners.
* Selling stolen goods on the legitimate market will be impossible for criminals to resell as the original owners can now be contacted.
© Technews Publishing (Pty) Ltd | All Rights Reserved