Video surveillance and CCTV solutions are contributing to more effective and more preventive security in shopping centres and supermarkets.
This is according to Brett Birch, African Region leader for GE Security.
"As the key element of a security system, video surveillance and CCTV solutions allow for substantial cost savings, while offering a better level of service to customers and staff," he says.
"What we have seen is that, on a world-wide basis, 160 billion dollars are disappearing due to security issues annually. This represents 2% of the total retail turnover," he points out.
Birch lists some of the major security issues facing supermarkets and shopping centres as robberies, assaults, burglary and vandalism. However, there is apparently also significant loss through shoplifting, pricetag switching, credit card fraud, counterfeiting, customer-return fraud and employee or vendor theft.
"The solution to this problem is a security system where each component can communicate with the others for improved levels of prevention and coordination. The key element of these systems is video surveillance and CCTV.
"Moreover, having a system able to merge visual security and content distribution, contributes to enhancing service level and accelerates return on investment," he continues.
"The VisioWave Security Software Development Kit allows customised man-to-machine interfaces (MMIs) and offers the possibility of integrating with multisystem security architecture," elaborates Birch.
According to Birch, some of the advantages of VisioWave Security Solutions Video Surveillance and CCTV include:
* Professional video quality and integrated professional audio features.
* Sophisticated video and audio recording features.
* Automated surveillance using centralised alarm management and integrated image processing.
* Intelligent use of any network infrastructure.
* Centralised configuration.
* All key security features included.
* Possible coupling with VisioWave Media Solutions for content distribution.
* Easy customisation or integration with other applications.
The application for VisioWave Security Solutions Video Surveillance and CCTV in supermarkets and shopping centres typically includes:
* Outside and perimeter surveillance, parking and warehouses security.
* Call boxes, cash dispensers surveillance.
* Internal store and shopping centre surveillance.
* Low latency, high speed rail cameras management for realtime robbery tracking.
* Recording of video to disprove (or prove) liability claims.
* Connection between stores or with urban surveillance system.
* Multimedia information and advertising system.
"The VisioWave Security Software Development Kit makes connection with the shopping centre security system simple. The system also makes it possible to connect distant stores; and it is easy to modify the system to adapt to frequent store layout changes," Birch adds.
"The cost of implementing the system is mitigated by using the existing network infrastructure alongside other applications - such as those used for data or telephony. There is also a cost saving on the cabling system, operation and maintenance.
"VisioWave Security Solutions not only provide more effective retail sector security, but offer an improvement on customer service," he concludes.
For more information contact Brett Birch, GE Industrial, Security, 021 937 6000, firstname.lastname@example.org
© Technews Publishing (Pty) Ltd. | All Rights Reserved.