To coincide with its 20th year in business, Software Control Services (Softcon) officially launched its new range of products at a symposium at the CSIR late last year. Product presentations were given by Neill Williams (director of sales for HID), Neil McDonald (director of sales EMEA & AsiaPac for Bioscrypt) and Mark Liebenberg (director - Softcon) to an audience comprising nearly 100 consultants, system integrators and installers in the building management sector.
Some of the key product announcements included:
HID - iClass - The functioning and advantages of the iClass contactless smartcard and readers were presented. The higher security, speed and memory segmentation as opposed to HiTag and Mifare were highlighted.
Examples of numerous applications were proposed for on-line and off-line systems, including:
* Access control (time group, readers enabled, APB, ATB, expiry and entry count).
* Vending, POS, fuel management (values, subsidies, tokens and discounts);
* Finger print template.
* Library and asset management (items and return dates).
Bioscrypt - Fingerprint fundamentals were discussed, with the explanations at to why Bioscrypt verification algorithms are effective, and a range of available fingerprint readers were presented, including:
* Fingerprint reader only.
* Fingerprint with external card reader/PIN pad.
* Fingerprint reader with integrated HID Prox or iClass reader.
Softcon - Softcon introduced its new access/input/output controller, reader and door modules and software. Key features of the new solution include:
* Supervised inputs (short and open circuit monitoring) and counting of inputs in controllers.
* 64 k running numbered or 15 k random numbered (10 digit) controller card database.
* 1000 transaction buffer with transactions time and date stamped in the controller.
* Direct interface to two Wiegand, data/clock, touch, or serial (RS232/485) readers, including iClass, fingerprint and asset receivers.
* Time groups on all readers, input and output levels and counts.
* Enhanced event structure that includes alarm fields, triggering on time groups, virtual cards.
* Interfacing to external time and attendance, POS and guest systems and data conversions from text files.
* Addition or removal of area groups and change of card status on card expire or card count full.
* Enhanced access control algorithm, visitor/host linking and multiple area groups.
* Card capture zoning.
* Multicards per card holder with links to virtual and temporary cards.
* SMS and e-mail messaging.
* Point of sale terminals, parking pay on entry and pay on exit.
* Integrated (or separate) WYSIWYG card maker.
* Vending, fuel and asset management.
* Visitor management and card printing and more.
Softcon is the largest distributor of HID (proximity cards and readers) and Bioscrypt (fingerprint readers) products in Africa. More than 20 000 Softcon controllers are installed in 1400 sites in 29 countries.
© Technews Publishing (Pty) Ltd | All Rights Reserved