Bearing Man has locations in major centres in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana and Swaziland with its new head office situated in Umlangha Ridge, Durban. With the project underway to combine its warehouse division with its head office, Bearing Man realised the need for an access control system to be installed.
Johnson Controls was invited to visit the site and prepare a proposal based on an audit of the facilities and Bearing Man's specific requirements. The suggestions, prices and service presented by Johnson Controls were met with a positive response and the installation promptly began.
The main needs specific to the success of this project would be for provision of:
( Control of the increased traffic flow of staff throughout the building.
* Access at separate entrances for the separate divisions; head office and warehousing.
* Regulated access at specific times of day to a shared canteen situated at a central point in the building.
* Control of flow of traffic to parking bays and basement parking for both visitors and staff.
* A management tool for reporting on time registers and attendance of staff.
* The ability to expand on this security system in the near future.
Johnson Controls provided a comprehensive security solution through the installation of its Pegasys 900 cardkey access control system. It provides a complete solution for security management allowing the integration of access and lift control, alarm monitoring, vehicle identification, CCTV and photo-ID (with BadgeMaster 900). When Cardkey BadgeMaster and Time Management are combined with Cardkey Pegasys 900, only one card is required for all three applications.
The system architecture is flexible and modular and expandable up to 256 readers and 30 000 cardholders, with dial-up and leased line support for up to 1000 locations.
Starting with auto configuration, the new user will find that set-up, controller polling, and tasks creating database files are fully automated. Cardkey Pegasys 900 is capable of working with up to four workstations on a separate internal LAN. Live graphical maps are easily designed for the facility showing instantly where an alarm is activated and door status.
This system would not only meet the above needs of Bearing Man, but also allow for further growth and changes as the company adapts to constantly meet the market requirements.
Further features of the Pegasys 900 system include:
* Works with Windows 2000 professional/NT 4.0.
* Works with RS485 multidrop, dial up or TCP/IP communications.
* Multiple hardware systems.
* Supports all major card technologies.
* Global and local anti-passback.
* Alarm display priority.
* Multiple site code management.
* Variable password security levels permit.
* Audible alarm sounds.
* Realtime monitoring.
* Large selection of reporting - on screen or saved for later printing.
* Guard tours.
* Visitor manager.
* Archive - provides back-up and historical reporting.
* On line manuals.
EMCO Systems was part of the team which helped provide the new building with the most up-to-date security and access control systems. EMCO Systems in conjunction with Johnson Controls design and install complete building solutions including electrical motor control switchboards, airconditioning controls, lighting controls, energy management and security/access control systems.
Further recommendations were made by Johnson Controls to expand upon this access control system in the near future, incorporating other aspects of its product offerings, and highlighting the systems ability to expand and adapt as the future of the company dictates.
For more information contact Johnson Controls, 011 886 8997.
© Technews Publishing (Pty) Ltd | All Rights Reserved