Tough with opportunities
February 2017, CCTV, Surveillance & Remote Monitoring, Cyber Security
It is expected that cyber security breaches and crimes will dominate the headlines; especially with the fast-growing list of new, innovative threats, like fileless malware, dronejacking and the continued evolution of malware. The exploitation of IP cameras as a backdoor will also prove challenging, with ever more secure security policies being implemented. The alignment of internal security systems to IT processes will continue, stimulating IP sales.
However, the electronic security landscape will be sure to provide its own challenges that require smart, innovative use of technology to address security and business management concerns effectively. Integration will remain a key aspect, converging multiple subsystems into a converged powerhouse of intelligence and forensic data, most likely including SIoT (Security Internet of Things).
Marius Stoop, sales manager.
What will make an impact?
• The current product curve is peaking, with excellent products across many levels, allowing one to meet solution requirements and the price sensitivity of some markets. Big data and cloud storage should offer some storage alternatives in the near future. SIoT, the excitingly anticipated marriage between IoT and electronic security brings with it an expectation of virtually endless possibilities.
• The projects environment should be ready to embrace a more open platform architecture (less proprietary) driving compatibility, integration, cloud presence and convergence.
• While the mid to lower tiers will be more interested in (more proprietary) boxed solutions, many top camera manufacturers are now offering entry to mid-level head-end software and solutions, and vice versa for some head-end manufacturers.
What about the economy?
• Bleak forecasts, political turbulence, electricity and water supply constraints are seen in some crystal balls, one should protect against these by remaining steadfast in a strong business strategy and focus on the execution thereof.
• A slightly stronger version of 2016 could be expected. Growth has to be driven by offering the customer value to invest in outcomes-based solutions and good ROI with a suitable TCO.
2017 will undoubtedly be as challenging as any. With most companies undergoing consolidation of one kind or another, the product and service offering will be funnelled into a high concentration of a few strong contenders.
- The Battle: Human vs Machine
October 2017, C3 Shared Services, This Week's Editor's Pick, CCTV, Surveillance & Remote Monitoring
The concept of video analytics technology is to present only the information that will require an operator’s immediate attention.
- What’s in a platform?
October 2017, Milestone Systems, Naxian Systems, Genetec, This Week's Editor's Pick, CCTV, Surveillance & Remote Monitoring, Integrated Solutions
Hi-Tech Security Solutions looks at what today’s security management platforms offer users from both small and large organisations.
- Changing the SMB VMS landscape
October 2017, Pelco by Schneider Electric, CCTV, Surveillance & Remote Monitoring, Integrated Solutions
Video surveillance innovations have changed the landscape for enterprise security with the ability to provide real-time monitoring, forensic investigations, risk mitigation and business operations management.
- Packaged cyber-threat service
October 2017, GNL Cyber, News, Cyber Security
Gold ‘N Links Cyber introduces GNL CYBER 360, a per user, next generation cyber-threat packaged service.
- Hikvision reaches new heights
October 2017, Hikvision South Africa, News, CCTV, Surveillance & Remote Monitoring, Perimeter Security, Alarms & Intruder Detection
Hikvision held an event to celebrate the launch of its perimeter defence solutions on 15 September on the 20th Floor of The Venue, Green Park.
- Arteco integrates with Hanwha Techwin
October 2017, News, CCTV, Surveillance & Remote Monitoring
Arteco announced that its Video Event Management and Video Intelligence Solutions are now compatible with the new Hanwha Techwin Wisenet 5 chipset.
- Milestone is all ears for audio
October 2017, Milestone Systems, News, CCTV, Surveillance & Remote Monitoring, Products
Milestone Systems has released Device Pack 9.3 which prepares the Milestone community for using audio to increase safety. In addition, more than 300 cameras have received updated or new support.
- Causes of fatigue
October 2017, Leaderware, This Week's Editor's Pick, CCTV, Surveillance & Remote Monitoring, Security Services & Risk Management
The security industry has many regulations, but in an industry where the type of work and other conditions lend themselves to fatigue, there is little on the handling of fatigue.
- Qognify secures global bank
October 2017, Security Services & Risk Management, CCTV, Surveillance & Remote Monitoring, Integrated Solutions
Qognify announced that one of the world’s largest banks and financial services companies has selected Qognify Situator and its Operational Intelligence Centre (OIC) module to help manage its global security ...
- Integrated mining surveillance
October 2017, Cathexis Technologies, Mining (Industry), CCTV, Surveillance & Remote Monitoring, Integrated Solutions
Gus Brecher, MD of Cathexis Africa and business development director of Cathexis Technologies, offers some insight into the challenges that securing mining operations poses.
- More than physical intrusion
October 2017, Mining (Industry), Cyber Security
Mining and manufacturing sectors are becoming increasingly vulnerable to cyber attack. This is highlighted in Dimension Data’s Global Threat Intelligence Report for 2017.
- Security infrastructure in a box
October 2017, Genetec, CCTV, Surveillance & Remote Monitoring, IT infrastructure
Genetec introduces new high-performance rack-mounted appliances, workstations and storage solutions.