Honeywell’s Enterprise Buildings Integrator provides Kumba Iron Ore with a solution to ensure the right people, with the right credentials and certification have access to Kolomela Mine at the right time, enhancing business integrity.
Kumba Iron Ore (Kumba) is a global leading supplier of seaborne iron ore. With a goal to increase production to 70 Mt per annum by 2019, Kumba has developed Kolomela Mine. Located in Postmasburg in the Northern Cape, Kolomela commenced operation on 22 July 2012 and is expected to reach full capability, producing 9 Mtpa, in 2013, greatly contributing to Kumba’s production goals.
Aligned with the strategic goal of optimising the value of its current operations, Kumba required an intelligent solution capable of integrating data across multiple sites with access control in order to maximise operational productivity and safety by ensuring authorised people had access to the right places at the right time only.
Furthermore, the solution needed to facilitate adherence compliance with stringent occupational health and safety requirements for mining facilities.
The solution delivered focused on the integration of SAP business management software with intelligent access control.
• Enterprise Building Integrator, enabling integration of various business systems including SAP and other systems.
• Temaline Access Control System installed at Kolomela Mine main gate, security building, laboratory, administration building, medical centre, enrolment office and 11 kVA substations.
• The installation of EBI provided Kolomela Mine to optimise operational effectiveness and also provide the flexibility to cope with future expansion.
• Site safety is maximised through the integration of access control and SAP enabled ensured the right people, with the right credentials and certification have access to Kolomela Mine at the right time. Kumba is also able to ensure that safety plausibility checks are completed prior to site access being granted.
• EBI’s ability to integrate data from various sub-systems provided Kumba with the ability to check on a regular basis and assure that health, safety and security processes are adhered to.
• Honeywell delivered this project ahead of timescale, with zero injuries or fatalities on site, thereby complying to the stringent health and occupational safety requirements that Kumba requires from their contractors and suppliers.
© Technews Publishing (Pty) Ltd | All Rights Reserved