WD, a Western Digital company has unveiled the fourth generation of WD Arkeia network backup appliances, delivering an all-in-one backup and disaster recovery solution for small- and medium-sized businesses (SMBs).
The new line up consists of four rack-mount appliance models with larger internal disk capacities, faster processors, increased memory, and integrated solid state drives (SSDs) to shorten backup time and accelerate data recovery. The bundled WD Arkeia v10.1 software delivers new support for 'seed and feed' technology to support hybrid cloud backups. This allows companies to move backups offsite via network replication rather than shipment of tapes.
“In announcing their fourth generation of purpose-built network backup appliances, WD Arkeia is delivering SMB backup solutions that go beyond simple raw capacity increases,” said Liz Conner, senior research analyst, IDC. “WD Arkeia offers easy-to-use data protection that takes the guess work out of purchasing, configuring and managing data backup and recovery, while also embedding features such as deduplication and hybrid cloud backup for small- and medium-sized businesses or remote offices.”
Fourth-generation performance and ease-of-use
Fourth-generation WD Arkeia backup appliances deliver performance and ease-of-use at an affordable price for SMBs. These new appliances extend the upper range of WD Arkeia appliances and complement available lower-range appliances. WD Arkeia R120s and R220s, both with optional LTO4 tape drives, integrate dual-core Atom and quad-core Xeon processors, respectively. Existing appliances deliver disk capacities from 2 TB to 12 TB and will also bundle WD Arkeia v10.1. The new fourth-generation appliances offer:
* Increased backup and recovery speed: New features include integrated LTO5 tape drives, processor upgrades to a maximum of 2 hex-core Intel Xeon, integrated SSDs on select models, and memory up to 96 GB to allow for increased data backup and recovery speeds of both files and disk images. WD Arkeia’s patented Progressive Deduplication technology accelerates backups by compressing data at source computers before transfer over local area networks (LANs) or wide area networks (WANs).
* Higher storage capacity: Storage capacity doubles from the third generation, with raw capacity now ranging up to 48 TB, configured in RAID-6.
* Improved ease of use: Version 10.1 of WD Arkeia software, delivered with the new generation, includes an on-boarding wizard to streamline the appliance setup process.
* Storage reliability: All new WD Arkeia appliances feature WD enterprise-class WD RE hard drives for maximum data integrity.
* Simplified tape-free, offsite storage: Version 10.1 of WD Arkeia software extends support for hybrid cloud backup capabilities to the full line of WD Arkeia appliances. 'Seed and feed' capabilities allow administrators to supplement network replication of backup sets offsite by using USB-connected hard drives to transfer initial and large backup sets and also to size WAN bandwidth for the replication of nightly incremental backups.
For more information contact WD, +27 (0)83 277 7634, firstname.lastname@example.org
© Technews Publishing (Pty) Ltd | All Rights Reserved