These days estates and facilities no longer simply require a guard at the gate or walking around the perimeter. Every day the security personnel put their lives at risk with the ever-increasing amount of violent criminal attacks we face.
XtraVision, a global distributor of numerous brands in the security and fire industry, has found itself assisting in specifying solutions and helping integration partners with design to assist in dealing with the problem. Many of our clients approach the solution as follows.
Step 1: Understanding the risk onsite to personnel and property; understanding will help the security company to do their job more efficiently.
• Weak points on perimeter or buildings.
• Access and egress control into the estate or facility.
• Challenges related to attending to events.
• Understanding issues encountered by onsite personnel.
• Understanding client budget and funds available to address shortcomings.
• Creating a realistic plan to address the concerns, prioritising concerns from highest to lowest.
Step 2: Selecting a suitable video management solution allowing for control of the site from a central point, while integrating other products in use.
• Does the VMS create a stable building platform that is expandable, thus allowing for third-party integrations?
o Intrusion integration and detection systems, video analytics, and other alarm devices.
o VOIP through and over the system.
o Access control integration.
o Input and output support.
• Can the product support video wall functionality if required?
• Can the product offer failover capabilities for the database and recording features?
• Ease of use of the product.
• Are the annual licencing fees acceptable and in line with client’s budget?
• Can the system allow IP and thermal camera feeds with video analytics alerts to the operators, and does it allow for configuration of a robust and reliable solution?
• Can this product be monitored offsite if required?
• Can the client remotely access footage and evets from mobile devices?
Step 3: Applying relevant technologies that integrate to the above video management platform while assisting operators.
• Visual verification.
o IP Infrared cameras and thermal long-range cameras around the perimeter of the facility to allow detection with associated video analytics; these devices will detect and alert operators who can visually verify the number of perpetrators and whether they are armed or not.
• Detection over a vast area
o Products such as thermal radar covering distances of 1,2 km with detection in a 360-degree radius.
o Long range fibre detection both above and below ground with products such and SAMM Fotos, allowing of drones to verify the alarm while providing accurate GPS locations.
o Radar and similar solutions also provide localised detection along vulnerable areas.
• Access control
o Good access control system with visitor and contractor management, ensuring that all persons on the estate belong on the estate and have left the estate when they should have.
o VoIP communication to the field to deter intruders and allow response teams time to get to the location.
XtraVision, has found that although many of the solutions suggested above are expensive, they greatly assist the security companies to effectively conduct their duties and produce a high level of service. Many estates and facilities take the cheaper route, but end up replacing or spending money again on the proposed systems as the cheaper version does not last and is nowhere near as effective as the originally proposed technology solutions.
When costing such systems, the security company, supplier and the client need to look at the actual cost and return on investment.
• Return on investment – cost versus time.
• How long will this product last and what is the mean time between failure?
• How effective is the solution?
• What are the benefits of this solution over other cheaper solutions?
• How will this technology assists the guarding company onsite? Will it benefit the client in their goal of ensuring the site is secure and safe?
Where the right technology has been deployed, the feedback from security companies has been outstanding and they state that it has greatly aided them in their work to secure the site and keep the residents and or property safe and secure.
|Tel:||+27 11 450 1056|
|Fax:||086 568 2573|
|Articles:||More information and articles about XtraVision|
© Technews Publishing (Pty) Ltd | All Rights Reserved