Richard Frost, product head: Cyber Security at Vox, rounds up some of the most pressing issues in cyberspace to keep you informed and in control of your networks and data.
Fear surrounding targeted Russian cyberattacks
If there's one thing we're sure of, it's that Russia has varied and extensive cyberskills and isn't afraid to use them. Amid ongoing conflict between Russia and Ukraine, cybersecurity experts, like Cisco Systems' researchers, have urged us all to be far more vigilant when it comes to our cyberhygiene, by paying special attention to outdated operating systems and software. While the US Department of Homeland Security's CISA (Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Agency) warns that SMEs are usually the most at risk of ransomware attacks.
Whether Russian cybercriminals plan on launching targeted attacks at countries standing in opposition to their invasion of Ukraine remains to be seen, but there's never been a better time than now to get your digital house in order.
• Back up your computers.
• Vet what you’re clicking on and be vigilant online.
• Use two-factor authentication passwords.
• Change your passwords regularly and ensure they're long and strong.
• Make sure your software is up to date.
South Africa's escalating cybercrime problem
Last month, globally recognised cybersecurity firm SurfShark listed South Africa as one of the top 10 countries in the world hardest hit by cybercrime – coming in at number six. South Africa has also shown one of the sharpest increases in cybercrime in recent years with a YoY (year-on-year) density increase of a whopping 277%. As always, it pays to stay vigilant.
Solutions and countermeasures
• Email security: Protects against inbound and outbound email-borne threats. This includes malware, spam, phishing, DHA and DDoS attacks, deliberate or accidental data leaks, outages and social engineering attacks.
• Endpoint security: Intelligent endpoint and server protection meets web and mail gateway security, addressing threats at each stage of incursion. Reduce your risk and keep your data, users and organisation safe.
• Network security: Firewalls assure round-the-clock protection to keep threats out, connect multiple branches and secure remote workers as well as comprehensive reporting on network and Internet access.
|Tel:||+27 87 805 0000|
|Articles:||More information and articles about Guardian Eye|
© Technews Publishing (Pty) Ltd | All Rights Reserved