Perimeter security is a challenge for all estates, large and small. In this article, Nick Grange, MD of XtraVision, provides insight into the design aspects and technology solutions to effectively securing your perimeter.
Many estate mangers need to consider the following design aspects as well as technologies in solving their perimeter protection solutions.
1. Conduct a risk analysis of the perimeter boundary considering points such as:
• How vulnerable is each area?
• How many egress points on site?
• How are contractors and gardeners processed?
• Possible or actual breaches of perimeter.
• Response onsite to perimeter (time, distance and ease of response over terrain).
• Systems currently in place.
• Standard operation procedures in place.
• Current service provider input on shortcomings and challenges identified.
2. Establish a risk matrix:
• Identify risks or concerns and prioritise them.
3. Identify technology or technologies as listed below to address shortcomings:
• Microwave barriers.
• Fence detection.
• Infrared barriers.
• Triple technology barriers.
• Doppler technology sensors.
• Buried fibre optic detection sensors.
• Buried seismic detection sensors.
• Super long range (SLR) PIR detector.
• High security electric fencing solutions.
• Thermal camera range with built-in video intrusion detection analytics.
• Long range dual PTZ/thermal observation system.
• Thermal imaging radar.
• IP surveillance camera range with built-in video intrusion detection analytics.
• Radar perimeter protection.
• IP horn speakers.
• IP intercom control modules.
• Control and field power and communication infrastructure.
• Video event management system (the foundation of any system being implemented).
4. Create a phase or project budget.
5. Tender or request for proposal stage.
6. Phase or project implementation.
7. Warranty and maintenance of system.
Currently we find many estates are implementing the following technologies due to cost and ease of implementation, these technologies lend themselves to being implemented in a phased approach.
Video analytics and AI detection systems
This analytic software is available either directly on the thermal or IP surveillance cameras, as well as on the video event management software (VEMS) and is a category of software used to automatically monitor your surveillance video. It scans for predetermined elements, such as intrusion and flags each instance of these events found. As predetermined and configured to the user’s preferred settings, certain events can trigger alarms or notifications sent.
Video analytics uses the above software algorithms to detect, classify and track objects or persons and can be retrofitted to existing camera systems.
The product is classed as an early warning system and can alert an operator of a possible threat before the would-be intruder reaches the boundary fence.
It is a great tool for an operator of the control software as it allows him or her to visually verify the event as well as gain an understanding of the event, for example, how many intruders as well as if they are possibly armed and this allows the operator to relay this critical information to the response unit which in turn allows them to respond in a fashion that will help mitigate any unnecessary risk.
This technology can easily be added to protect perimeter boundaries and integrated to existing static and PTZ IP cameras, the radar can also be used alone or integrated to nearest PTZ camera, as a detector, the intrusion trajectory of the object will be displayed in the detection area. If the corresponding functional area (defence area, alarm area, shield area) is set up on the web or desktop platform, the corresponding function will be realised. For different application scenarios, necessary peripheral equipment, such as horn speakers or illumination devices can be added. It can then display special functions such as sound and light alarms.
Radar can be used in all applications; however, it offers best results in sterile areas such as open fields, parks and no-man’s-lands. Today’s radar come in a variety of models and cover from 50 m, 120 m, 240 m and 300 m to 450 metres with varying field widths of detection.
Video event management systems
Arteco is a global provider of video security related products with a focus on ease-of-use and resource management. The product allows for a combination of both video analytics and video management software on a single platform at a competitive price. Video analytics is an enhancement to the video security experience.
It allows automatic recognition of people, objects and vehicles. Being server-based it allows for any camera, irrespective of brand to be transformed into an intelligent and accurate device where excellent detection is required and very low false alarm rates are non-negotiable.
These products normally provide the following rules: Abandoned Object, Appear/Disappear, Dwell, Counting, Direction, Enter/Exit, Object Filter, Colour Filter, Speed Filter, Stopped Rule, Tailgating and provide a Deep Learning Filter to reduce false alarms even further. Arteco’s VEMS systems seamlessly integrate into third-party systems and devices and are suited for residential security applications.
Besides video analytics, VEMS systems also integrate with access control, intrusion, fire, lighting, electric fencing, perimeter intrusion detection systems (PIDS), building management and LPR/ANPR systems.
However, it is important to note that perimeter solutions are typically deployed as part of an overall security system and need to be compatible with onsite video management and control solutions.
A perimeter solution normally acts as an early warning system, alerting an operator onsite or offsite to an alarm condition related to a potential intruder at the perimeter who has not yet breached the boundary fence or line to the protected area. XtraVision both distributes, represents and offers integrator support on its international product brands.
|Tel:||+27 11 450 1056|
|Fax:||086 568 2573|
|Articles:||More information and articles about XtraVision|
© Technews Publishing (Pty) Ltd. | All Rights Reserved.